Rons Rants

A Blog Is A Self-Inflicted Invasion Of Privacy

Name:
Location: Newland, North Carolina, United States

I'm a fifty two year old happily married man who doesn't really like many people which is why I live on the top of a mountain.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What A GREAT Weekend!!

I WILL finish the latest tale but…..I had to tell ya’ll….I had a freakin’ GREAT weekend!

After seven or eight years of talkin’ about it, my old buddy Dale M from Columbia came up for a visit. Dale is, without a doubt, the nicest guy I’ve ever met in the music business. We played together for quite a while back in the day and had an absolute blast doing it.

One night when I was playing at Carl’s Corner in West Columbia, Dale came in and listened to Tony and I for a couple of sets. When we took our second break, Dale came up to me and introduced himself. He told me that he really liked my music. I will always remember what was said next.

That night, years ago, Dale mentioned that he liked the music I was playing, especially my original songs. Well, being the ‘team player’ that I’ve always tried to be….I mentioned that Tony was a big part of the whole deal.

I will NEVER forget how Dale handled my comment.

His face froze into a sly grin and he hung his head for a second. After a second or two, he looked back up at me.

“Well…..let’s just say that I think you would sound better with somebody who could actually sing harmony.” He stated with a chuckle. “Not to mention the fact that you’re singing lead in most of the songs….you need a partner that can carry his own load.”

I didn’t really know what to say but honestly…..I couldn’t disagree with him. Tony was a friend of mine but…between the cocaine problems, his lack of responsibility and his unwillingness to actually REHEARSE and/or learn anything new….I was ready to go in a different direction musically.

“So…..what kind of stuff do you play?” I asked.

He laughed and grinned at me.

“You ain’t gonna believe this but, I’ve never played much before in public.” He told me. “But…..I’m better than HIM.” He pointed in Tony’s direction.

To this day…..that’s the last time I ever heard Dale speak ill of anyone! He’s such a laid back guy that if he witnessed a brutal murder, he’s probably say something like….

“Well…the guy with the AK-47 probably shouldn’t have shot the boy so many times but you know…..that boy might have deserved it. I just don’t know.”

Dale and I got together and jammed a couple of times after which, he and I started playing together and Tony went back to Charlotte. Tony and I are still friends but, at the time, he was devasted. To this day, he HATES Dale but….the truth is….

Dale is one of the true ‘Good Guys’.

Anyway…we had a ball over the weekend.

I’m still recovering from the late night picking and grinning sessions. I haven’t laughed so hard in quite a while.

Well, I’ll finish the tale tomorrow I hope.

See ya’ll then.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend, glad you had a good time. Don't forget to finish the story...

8/21/2007 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what fun!

8/23/2007 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home