Rons Rants

A Blog Is A Self-Inflicted Invasion Of Privacy

Name:
Location: Newland, North Carolina, United States

I'm a fifty two year old happily married man who doesn't really like many people which is why I live on the top of a mountain.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

An Observation About My Life

You know….it’s really strange how many really WEIRD things have happened in my life. Some of them just sort of happened and quite frankly, some of them were strictly self inflicted and brought about by nothing more than my own stupidity coupled with the belief that I was the single most important person in the world.

I never consciously thought that I was the most important person in the world but I sure acted as though I was.

I don’t feel that way anymore.

The truth is that nowadays, I’m acutely aware that while I’m a pretty decent person….I’m not all that special after all.

Have you ever really stopped and ask yourself this question?

“What have I done in my life that is worth GOD having allowed me to live?”

That question occurred to me a while back and has haunted me ever since.

The truth is almost overwhelming.

I have done almost NOTHING.

In the grand scheme of things, I really haven’t done many really GOOD things. I’ve done a bunch of “fun” things, some strange things, a ton of hedonistic things, a boatload of interesting things, and a smattering of illegal things but….

What have I, hell…what have ANY of us done to earn the right to live in this incredible world GOD has allowed us to inhabit?

For those of you poor, misguided creatures who don’t believe in GOD….I’ll rephrase that.

What have we done to earn the right to live in this incredible world that just happened to be here due to a cosmic collision of space dust?

The point is this…..

Don’t we owe something to somebody for the right to be here?

Don’t get me wrong….I've done a few minor things…….

I once led the state of North Carolina in punting with a 44.3 yard average.

I kicked sixteen straight field goals in high school, one of them from 54 yards out.

I’ve played music in front of many thousands of people.

I’ve written a few songs people still remember.

I have made a few people laugh.

I’ve made more than a few people cry and I’ve made a few people hate me.

Been married unsuccessfully twice.

Been married successfully once.

I guess my point is that I can’t point to one single thing that I’ve done that make God look at me and say….

“Well done my good and faithful servant.”

I’m gonna do something about that and…I’m gonna do it SOON!

Yep….you could say that I’m on a mission from God! LOL.

Seriously though, I’m going to find some way to do something that I can be proud of.

It’s not gonna be anything stupid like flying a kite for peace or huggin’ a freakin’ tree or fighting non existent man made global warming or rescuing a beached whale either…it’s gonna be something really cool and, hopefully, meaningful.

I’ve thought about finding a family who needs some money (not that I have much to give) or some old person who needs help. Michelle thinks I ought to go to a nursing home and play music for old people but I don’t think old folks want to hear some old fat dude play Skynard or Travis Tritt!

Hmmm….I’m gonna have to think long and hard about this.

I’ve been blessed beyond all belief for someone who’s done nothing to deserve it.

I’m gonna DO SOMETHING!

10 Comments:

Blogger Walrilla said...

I don't know, man. That playing in an old folks' home sounds pretty good to me. If you could learn some songs from the '30s through the '50s (and I have no doubt that you could), you'd be bringing a BUNCH of happy memories to some people. One of my old bosses used to do that, and maybe still does, and he said he always had a blast watching them start remembering all those good old times.

11/06/2007 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is funny (weird), Ron. I think we get of an age and most of us ask that same question. I guess we all can't be Mother Teresa or Carnegie, etc but I don't think we have to in order to give our lives meaning and worth. Remember the Bible story about the widow putting her mite (a wee amount of money) in the collection after the rich man threw in his lot? It's not about quantity or grandness. It's about caring and human kindness. Things like helping a kid fix his bike, reaching the top shelf for something an old lady needs in the store. A touch or smile. If just one person thinks this world is a better place because you inhabit it, I'd say that's a successful life. I, for one, am glad you are here to tell your stories and sometimes make me laugh and sometimes make me thoughtful. I daresay Michelle would agree that this world is a better place because you are here. :) So, that makes at least two of us...

11/06/2007 1:20 PM  
Blogger Assrot said...

That playing a little music at an old folks home is a great idea. Go to one of the state run homes not the ones that the filthy rich retire to. Those poor people have nothing and are just sitting there day by depressing day waiting to die. Most don't even have anybody that will come and see them. They appreciate any little thing you do. Just stopping by and talking to them or listening to them for an hour or two a week makes them happy and gives them something to look forward to. You'll be amazed at how much better it makes them and you feel and it takes so little effort.

11/06/2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger kdzu said...

Guess I would have to agree with Rocky. Many people would probably credit you more than you do to yourself.
Having in the not so distant past had some of the same feelings, I can say that when the time comes for tallying up the score card, your vote won't count for much probably. Your loving wife and friends, and he who sees hearts, will add up the final tote.
But, if you fee the need to do something more than heretofore, why, have at it. You might just change the world.
Wishing you well, and thanks for all the entertaining stories.la

11/07/2007 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the guys are on the playing music for the old folks gig, I'll tell ya'll what I keep on my fridge. It's a picture of a younger,skinnier me with an old man named Walter. We're all dressed up at a fancy table. I put the pix there to inspire me to stick to my diet, but the other special thing about this picture is that I was a nurse at the nursing home where Walter lived and the pix was taken the night of the Valentine's Day party to which he invited me. We ate and danced and had the time of our lives. Walter died within a year, but that lovely memory lives on.

11/07/2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Add me to the list of those who are very, very glad you are in the world! You've already done much more than you could know to brighten many lives, but knowing you think you should do more just shows how very special you already are... sweet man :)

11/07/2007 9:01 PM  
Blogger Rantin' Ron said...

Thanks ya'll. Ya'll are some really cool people. I think I will look into the nursing home thing. If nothing else, Michelle will provide the old guys someone to flirt with!

11/08/2007 11:20 PM  
Blogger AspergantuS said...

Ron, you are inspiring. The old folks home thing sounds like something that I would like to do as well. Maybe we can start a network of mature or seasoned (not old) musicians that goes around to retirement homes entertaining our serior citizens. I'm going to be one soon enough and we really do not honor our senior citizens like we should... and besides...they tell some of the GREATEST stories I've ever heard....

11/10/2007 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read the book Purpose Driven Life Ron. That Rick Warren guy is one heck of a good preacher too. I caught one of his sermons on Focus on the Family's radio broadcast. Widows, orphans and the poor were the subject and it made some excellent biblical points on what God commands. Your psycho fiend... I mean friend, Al of Alnot

11/17/2007 1:05 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Ron, you totally rock!!!

If I may add one thing on the list of "stuff you can do..." how about sending some christmas cards for troops in the combat zones this year?

My blog has all the details. :)

So glad to see you posting again - i've missed reading you. :)

11/17/2007 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home