Rons Rants

A Blog Is A Self-Inflicted Invasion Of Privacy

Name:
Location: Newland, North Carolina, United States

I'm a fifty two year old happily married man who doesn't really like many people which is why I live on the top of a mountain.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Height of Hypocrisy

When Rob Smith aka Acidman assumed room temperature the other day something miraculous happened...he became a bonafied freakin' saint!

I logged onto GutRumbles intending to leave a comment and, lo and behold, I thought some other Rob Smith had croaked.

In keeping with my understanding of the recently departed Acidman, I left a comment which, unlike most of the other guest book signers, was completely honest.

I wrote something to the effect that, while he was one nasty, vile, irreverant, cantankorous, beligerent, outrageous and totally self absorbed son of a bitch, I would miss reading him daily. I wrote that, while I wished I could wish him a sincere God Speed, anyone who truly understood the man realized that he had pretty much gone from the frying pan into the fires of Hell!

Acidman would have approved of my post...no doubt about it. He was no hypocrit.

I thought the comment was tame by comparison to what the Acidman would have said himself if he could've signed his own guest book. My post was not only yanked immediatly, I was accused of being "inappropriate"!! I couldn't believe my damned eyes! Inappropriate is a perfect discription of Rob's entire life as I knew him.

My point is that, for some reason, people have this ridiculous tendency to elevate assholes to saints, piss ants to heroes and scumbags to decent human beings once they stop breathing. It's really disgusting how often this happens.

It didn't take me long to realize that Rob's daughter or some other so-called loved one had actually removed his last post on GutRumbles in which he went off against almost everyone he knew including so-called friends and family.

On top of that, his final post stated, and I quote pretty much verbatum, "I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be my last day". Hell, he even pondered whether he would shoot himself with a .22 or a larger caliber weapon!

I honestly don't think Rob Smith deserves to have as his legacy all this touch feeley, revisionist horse shit. He didn't live his life that way. It's pure hypocrisy.
I once emailed him before he went into rehab and told him that my wife and I would pray for him. I immediatly got a reply in which he told me what I could do with my prayers. He was an unappologetic Atheist and all these attempts to remake him into a wonderful human being who is now sitting at the right hand of God is simply other people's way of trying to make up for their own mistreatment of the man. PERIOD.

I personally thought Rob was an extremely flawed man yet an incredibly unique charactor who was a lot of things but he was not a saint. Hell, who among us is? Certainly not me and I hope I'll be able to haunt the HELL out of anyone he attempt to potray me as such once I'm dead and gone.

There should be a special place in Hell for hypocrits!!

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm really gonna miss reading Rob Smith, warts and all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right on. But, I think I misread the line about "Hell for hypocrits." I thought you meant Rob was the hypocrit...or did you mean the special place in hell is for the hypocrits who wrote the sappy stuff about Rob? I think it's just human nature to "potray" the dead in positive ways...kind of like a tribute or an attempt to look at a glass half full, a life well lived. I admit I came across your blog in an attempt to discover how Rob actually died. I didn't read his final blog...I had no idea. You seem to be the only one willing to acknowledge that final blog. From what you wrote, I'm assuming life got to be too much for Rob. I don't know what portion of his writings reflected the true man, but I do believe he was looking forward to a visit from his daughter. How sad that he didn't stick around for that last visit.

6/29/2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger Rantin' Ron said...

Teresa,
Thanks for the visit, hope you will return soon. As you can tell, I'm a new blogger.
Yes, the line about a Hell for hypocrits WAS meant for the folks who were hailing Rob as a saint.
His final blog was one long rant against his friends and family. He was apparently in horrible pain from his arthritic shoulders and Catfish (his best blog friend?)supposedly told Rob's doctor that his was a recovering alcholic. As a result, the doctor wouldn't prescribe him any REAL painkillers.
He most certainly was suicidal and though we may never be told the truth, it would be an amazing coincidence if he died of natural causes or simply willed himself to die on the very day he said he was going to "bite the big one". I for on ain't buyin'it.
Anyone who says "if the .22 caliber doesn't do the job, I'll finish myself off with a .44" probably didn't die in his sleep.
See you around
Ron

6/30/2006 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was a prick in every sense of the word, and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. People should just stick the bastard in the ground so we could all pee on his grave.

7/04/2006 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home