Rons Rants

A Blog Is A Self-Inflicted Invasion Of Privacy

Name:
Location: Newland, North Carolina, United States

I'm a fifty two year old happily married man who doesn't really like many people which is why I live on the top of a mountain.

Monday, July 17, 2006

We went down the mountain to Lake James Friday and my lord was it hot! I can't believe I ever lived in Columbia, SC for most of my life. It was a lot hotter and certainly more humid in Columbia than it is in Marion, NC but somehow, I handled it. I can't take it so well these days. We actually came home late Saturday afternoon because there was a mean thunderstorm brewing in Marion and we knew we'd be stuck inside if we stayed the whole weekend. When we left Marion the temperature was 93 with the humidity at around 100%. Forty miles and three thousand feet of elevation later it was a WONDERFUL 78 degrees with humidity around 70% when we pulled up to our house...ahhh HEAVEN ON EARTH! I actually carved a sign years ago making it official....it's what we call our home.
I suppose having lived here for twenty years with no air conditioning has really affected my tolerance of it. Most people up here don't even have a window unit a/c. in their homes. Cars yes but not in their houses. Tourist places and stores do have it but most homeowners don't choose to have it. We usually have about ten or fifteen days per summer when the wind isn't blowing and the heat/humidity gets up into the high eighties, low nineties that we talk about going to Lowes and buying a little a/c unit to put in one room but, we never seem to get around to it. Once the sun goes down behind the mountain it cools off quite nicely. Actually, at seven o'clock this morning it was 59 degrees...pretty cool. Sure makes power bills smaller than our off the mountain brethren. Of course, I won't go into the winters here...Good Lord the winters are long, snowy and colder than a bankers heart. I guess I shouldn't bitch too much about the heat.
We spent Sunday being lazy. I decide to start picking the guitar a bit more than I have in a while. I need the practice. I played a few tunes at a party at the campground where we have our RV parked on Lake James and all of the sudden, I've been asked to start playing weekends at the clubhouse! Trust me...my massive ego enjoys being asked to do so but the musical semi-perfectionist in me has me panicking! Good grief I'm rusty. I haven't played much in a while because I HATE playing solo and I don't know many musicians that I can tolerate being around anymore. Seems to be that most of the good ones are drunks, drug users or just plain crazy. Don't get me wrong...I used to be all of the above but...I finally grew up. Granted, it took forty five years and Michelle to settle me down but I did finally mature a bit. I still drink a little and, if I'm in the mood, I might even take a toke off a joint but I absolutely can't stand drunks or crazy people. Liquor and drugs get blamed for a lot of stuff they never caused...some folks are just nutcases waiting for an excuse to show their asses! I hope I can find some folks to pick with who aren't too crazy.
Off the topic...
Can you believe the idiots who are claiming that Israel is using too much force in their retaliation against Lebanon? I don't get it. No fight was ever won by counter punching with equal force. Without an overwhelming counter attack, every war ever fought would still be raging. Wars ALWAYS end because someone got their ass whipped. PERIOD.
Well, gotta go do dinner, call my Mom and Dad and spend some time with my precious little woman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rantin' Ron said...

The old expression, "Same as it ever was" comes to mind. The Bible states clearly that there will never be peace in the Middle East but damn...this crap is going to spread like wildfire. I frankly wouldn't lose much sleep if Israel killed every one of those barbaric S.O.B.'s. I know, I know...doesn't sound very Christian but what can be done to placate those animals? The only thing they will be happy with is for every Jew to be dead. PERIOD. It's pretty much "root hog or die" for both sides.

7/18/2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home