Rons Rants

A Blog Is A Self-Inflicted Invasion Of Privacy

Name:
Location: Newland, North Carolina, United States

I'm a fifty two year old happily married man who doesn't really like many people which is why I live on the top of a mountain.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sheep

I have never understood the "flock mentality" of so many people.
Why the hell would ANYONE want to wear, drive, possess or desire the exact same things that EVERBODY else possesses?
I remember how Bass Weeguns (sp?), Gant and Enroe (sp?) shirts and Khaki pants were all the rage when I was in high school. Even then, I thought kids who fixated on them were sheep and told them so. Now granted, I was a freakin' HUNK and didn't need all the "popular" crap to attract girls but still... I rejected that horseshit. The only IN thing I desired were Converse All-Stars basketball shoes because, popular or not, they were the best shoes out there at the time. I finally got a pair when I could buy them for myself years later.
Maybe it was because my parents couldn't afford all that "popular" stuff anyway but I developed an early dislike for "popular" things.
I love tormenting friends and loved ones who covet such things by issueing a hearty "BAAAAHH" everytime I hear them gush about what's "in style". I go out of my way to avoid ANYTHING that "everyone" else is interested in.
If someone steals my stuff, I can identify it!! It's different from other peoples.
The surest way to keep me from buying something is for a salesman to proclaim that, "this is a very popular item these days". Hell, I don't want something that carries that claim to fame. I want something that I'LL still like when every other sheep has moved on to something else.
Screw "POPULAR"....show me quality and individuality anytime.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had the urge to be "like the Jones'" and have never understood the mentality of it.

7/21/2006 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely Keeper. I've seen my clothes come back in style more times than I can count. My 18 year old wants to start school shopping soon. I remember when school shopping meant one pair of new shoes, gym shorts, a new notebook, (IF and only IF the previous year's notebook had fallen apart) notebook paper, pencils (no. 2... and mechanical
ones were not allowed - oh wait, were they even invented then???)
and a pack of those erasers that go on the end of a pencil (and that pack was shared with my sisters and brother). My daughter wants to go to Atlanta to shop so her "BAAAAAHHH" popular crap won't be the "exact" same as everyone elses. She wants the same popular,
trendy stuff, only slightly different from her friends. When I started to tell her about my childhood school shopping, she said, "Yeah, yeah, and you walked 8 miles to school in the snow each and every day." Now, how did she know that?

7/23/2006 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

8/11/2006 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home